From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf
Of James
Sent: 06 January 2014 14:34
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53493] Re: Draft for chapters 1-3 of the next SI Brochure

Paul,

I'm going to answer this on the list since others likely will have the same
questions.

When you get further into the document, you will see that it points out the
watt balance as being essential for macroscopic determinations of mass at
the primary local standards level.

Yes, this would fix the Avogadro number for everyone. Recall that IUPAC and
IUPAP are involved in this effort!

Jim

On 2014-01-06 08:20, Paul Trusten wrote:
> Jim, this is quite exciting! I shall have to sit down and compare the
current SI Brochure with the draft.

> It seems like a clever strategy to define the constants in terms of the
base units, so that the base units then become defined by the constants. I
don't know if I'm asking the right question, but here goes. Does this
definition plan eliminate the need for the watt balance and other
experiments on redefining the kilogram, since the Planck constant henceforth
shall be exactly defined?

> Also, once the BIPM defines the Avogadro constant exactly, does that
definition indeed become binding on physics and chemistry?   It never
occurred to me until now that the keepers of the world measurement system
might also be the keepers of definitions that affect disciplines beyond
metrology. Perhaps this is why consultative committees exist. I don't really
know how this actually works.

> Paul
>
> Paul Trusten, Registered Pharmacist
> Vice President and Public Relations Director U.S. Metric Association,
> Inc.
> Midland, Texas, USA
> +1(432)528-7724
> www.metric.org
> trus...@grandecom.net
>

>> On Jan 5, 2014, at 16:42, James <j...@metricmethods.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear USMA Folks,
>>
>> The next edition (the ninth) of the SI Brochure is likely to reflect, as
you know, the shift to using seven exactly defined natural constants as the
basis for the SI. The process of defining values for those constants in
appropriate units effectively defines the SI base units. Currently, the
likely date of publication of the final draft for edition 9 will be in 2018,
give or take.

>> In anticipation of this, work has progressed in re-writing the SI
Brochure. I have posted here previous drafts of small sections of the new
material in the past, as well as some underlying documents that discuss the
nature of that shift of emphasis.

>> Now, a major portion of the new version of the Brochure's first three
chapters is available, courteously provided to us by Barry Taylor (NIST,
CCU). You may view the draft at, and download it from:
>>     http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_draft_ch123.pdf
>>
>> I have, so far, carefully read the first several pages (of 29) and have
skimmed the rest. Clearly this is a major rewriting of the Brochure and not
a tweak to update it. That is, it is a fresh start and not a patch.

>> So far, I am greatly impressed. The text flow starts "ab initio" in the
field of metrology and quickly develops the system from there. The flow of
information is smooth and clear to the careful reader -- at least one
experienced in the SI. And one **should** read it carefully. Like any good
technical writing the information content is concentrated; no blathering
appears in this document and every word is essential.

>> I will continue my careful study of this document. But in the meantime I
would like to put it out here on the list for you to see. Hopefully this
will start a lively and relevant discussion. One criterion that I think we
should gauge it by is how accessible it is to the neophyte, the student, the
general but decently educated member of the public. In short, is it
"teachable"? So far as I have read it, I think that it is.