 From: "mechtly, eugene a" <mech...@illinois.edu>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: "mechtly, eugene a" <mech...@illinois.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 1:19 PM
Subject: [USMA:53563] No Accent on "lom" in kilometer!

The CGPM does not publish an official "Guide for Pronouncing the Names and
Multiples of SI Units."

Nevertheless, I am confident that members of the CIPM (and CGPM) would reject
an accent on the "lom" in the word kilometer.

NBC commentators at the SUCHI Olympic events, *all* seem to have adopted this
bad practice of accenting the "lom."

Who initiated this *deviation* from the established global practice of
enunciating both the prefix "kilo" and the stem "meter"?

In spoken French and German there is no accented "lom" in kilometer!

Is "lom" accented in any other languages which you might speak?

Eugene Mechtly