On Monday, February 17, 2014 18:19:48 mechtly, eugene a wrote:
> The CGPM does not publish an official "Guide for Pronouncing the Names and
> Multiples of SI Units."
>
> Nevertheless, I am confident that members of the CIPM (and CGPM) would
> reject an accent on the "lom" in the word kilometer.
>
> NBC commentators at the SUCHI Olympic events, *all* seem to have adopted
> this bad practice of accenting the "lom."
>
> Who initiated this *deviation* from the established global practice of
> enunciating both the prefix "kilo" and the stem "meter"?
>
> In spoken French and German there is no accented "lom" in kilometer!
>
> Is "lom" accented in any other languages which you might speak?

In Spanish one says "kilómetro" and "milímetro", but mass units are
"kilogramo" and "miligramo" with the accent on the 'a'.

As to Sochi, I keep wanting to say "nenie" after it. (They mean "compo" and
"sition" in Russian, but the city's name is of Georgian origin.)

Pierre
--
The Black Garden on the Mountain is not on the Black Mountain.