From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
Tom Wade
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:24 AM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:54872] Re: The Martian

I remember when I read the book, I was pleased to see that the rather extensive
use of calculations was all metric.  I hoped at the time that the film, if it
ever came out, wouldn't try to 'dumb down' this.

I was pleasantly surprised that the movie remained true, and all the dialog
consisted of metric units too.  I was only able to find one reference to
Colonial Units in the whole thing, and that was quite obscure (see end of
message if you've seen the film but can't remember it).
Overall though, kudos to the studio - great job.

Incidentally, it's a fine film - I'd highly recommend it (as did everyone else
I know that saw it).  The book too is a great read (and has even more near
misses and setbacks than the film).

[the only non-metric units I saw were in the Heads Up Display (HUD) on the
spacesuits.  The pressure was reported in PSI, even though all other units,
including temperature in Celsius, were metric]

Tom Wade

tom dot wade at tomwade dot eu