I met a very nice guy a while back who works at the Plainfield Coop.  He
pointed me at the is4c system (Integrated System for Coops,
http://wedge.coop/is4c), which they were evaluating for use there.  I
looked briefly at it and was very intrigued by it's functionality and
resiliency:  Each point of sale 'island' runs completely automonously
from the rest of the network, and they all sync their Postgres data
continuously when operating normally.  The interesting thing is that the
whole rest of the network could cease to exist, and any island could
continue to operate, and would update the rest of the systems when they
came back online.

The reason I point you toward a Point of Sale system is that a PoS
system at it's core is really an inventory control system.  And
regardless of the inventory value, tracking how many you have/ need of
many individual items or SKUs is job 1 for any PoS system.

There are quite a few FOSS PoS systems out there, and they run the gamut
from moldy to bleeding edge to robust and spreading fast :)

Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies, LLC
1970 VT Route 14 South
East Montpelier, VT 05651

(802)223-4448
http://thatitguy.com

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."
  Voltaire, Essay on Tolerance
  French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)