> One of my fellow students and me wanted to use valgrind/cachegrind for some
> research. For our research, we wanted to modify
> the indirect branch prediction technique that was used in cachegrind
> (cg_branchpred.c). After modifying some of the code , we weren't able to
> include the math.h library for example. We've tried modifying the Makefile in
> every single way (-lm flag) to try and solve this issue, but we simply don't
> find a solution.

Please state the version of valgrind/cachegrind and the processor architecture
(x86_64, etc.) that you are using.

How do you know that there was a problem?  Please display the error messages
or describe the symptoms.  Please display the linking command that was used.

In any case, using a shared library (libm.so) won't work.
Did you try naming the archive library (libm.a) explicitly?
    gcc  ...  *.o  /lib64/libm.a  ...