Hmm
Unfortunatelly, I moved from Vienna to Zurich now and I don't have
access to the machine which showed this behavior. I just tried to
reproduce it on my gentoo box but there, it just worked fine. So I think
it has likely something to do with dependent libs. After all,
backporting an unstable debian package to stable is considered risky...

Regards
Benjamin