On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 21:45:58 +0200, you wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using VirtualBox 5.1.22 on a Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th generation, which
> is running KUbuntu 17.04. The screen resolution is 2560x1440.
>
> I have created two virtual machines, one with Win7 and the other with
> Win10, but neither will adapt to the resolution of the laptop (neither
> in terms of proportions, nor size), despite having successfully
> installed the guest additions.
>
> All attempts to condition the VMs have failed. At the end of the
> installation, the desktop of the VMs appears small and surrounded by a
> black margin to the right and below. I have tried the
> File-Environment-Display settings, auto resize guest, using VBoxManage
> setextradata, etc. but none of these works.
>
> It is possible to increase the resolution a little, but this setting
> does not persist, and is never in line with the actual resolution. In
> the Win10 machine, the cursor is also widely misaligned, making it
> difficult to even change screen definitions etc.
>
> Any thoughts?

Just a guess: Perhaps you have to increase the
video memory setting:

        Start Virtual Box Manager
        Select the VM
        Press Settings
        Go to Display, tab screen
        Video memory setting slider

You can approximate the setting by multiplying :
color depth in bytes * height in pixels * width in pixels

Add a few Megabytes to the result and use that setting.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Kees Nuyt