You can disable it at runtime also.
Just specify it in the AUTHMODULES variable in the
.../etc/*.config files (mine is at "authvchkpw authpam")
rather than "authdaemond".  You don't have to go back
and do a fresh compile.

I was trying to use courier-imap 1.6.0, but I'm stuck at
version 1.4.2.

Under high loads, you *need* to have a pool of authentication
servers.  I also use MySQL so the database authentication needs
to take place for every request.  So some work needs to be done
there, however I don't think its high on Sam's list.  I may have
to tackle it in the not too distant future, but I don't think my
work would get incorporated into his distribution...  Ken & Bill
have been willing to take patches.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian