From: Remo Mattei [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 May 2003 16:38
To: DARCY,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2); '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] Unable_to_switch_to_/home/vpopmail/domains -

Try to change from /bin/false to /bin/bash see if it works???

Good luck,

-- Remo Mattei   --cell 801-209-8554
       http://www.italy1.com
       Freelance Networking-Security/Consultant
       MCSE, MCP, MCP+I, MCT
       Linux Trainer & Firewall Development
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "DARCY,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:31:12 +0100
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello all,

I am having the usual problem of Unable_to_switch_to_/home/vpopmail/domains in a vchkpw/qmail install

The problem is not as straight forward is it would seem though

I'll paint a picture

Linux from Scratch test server

qmail

Mysql 4.0

Vpopmail (using mysql auth)

Sqwebmail

Vqadmin

Qmailadmin

I have had this test server running for a while with no problems, serving so low volume mail traffic for some friends. My vchkpw user and groups are vpopmail:vchkpw

If you look in my password file they tie in to groups 89:89

vpopmail:x:89:89:Vpopmail:/home/vpopmail:/bin/false

vchkpw:x:89:

This problem certainly appears to be vchkpw complaining but it could have something to do with vqadmin too so I'll also explain a problem with that (I am not asking you to fix this problem but if you can great - I am more interested in the vchkpw problem)

Every time I create a domain using vqadmin  I get a permissions problem (look at problem.com)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /var/log/qmail]# ls -la /home/vpopmail/domains/

total 36

drwx------    9 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 29 15:26 .

drwxr-xr-x    8 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 Apr 14 18:00 ..

drwx------    3 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 Apr 23 13:24 aspectevents.co.uk

drwx------    6 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 Apr 25 10:41 mdlan.co.uk

drwx------    4 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 21:18 parsonsmotorsport.co.uk

drwx------   3 1012    108          4096 May 29 15:26 problem.com

drwx------    6 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 Apr 30 15:38 projecthugo.co.uk

drwx------    4 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 Apr 25 15:15 sfproject.co.uk

drwx------    3 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 25 13:52 vqadmin.com

and before you ask yes when I built vqadmin I set the user and group flags to vpopmail:vckpw and it reported groups 89:89 so it had the right user details - I had no idea why it is doing this.

To get around this I chown -R vpopmail:vchkpw problem.com

This is what happened with the domain parsonsmotorsport.co.uk

I created it using vqadmin then chowned it as a temp fix while I was looking into the problem

The permissions on the domain and the directories for that domain seem fine

ls -lRt /home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/:

total 8

drwx------    3 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:12 robin

drwx------    3 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:09 postmaster

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/robin:

total 4

drwx------    5 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:12 Maildir

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/robin/Maildir:

total 12

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:12 cur

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:12 new

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:12 tmp

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/robin/Maildir/cur:

total 0

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/robin/Maildir/new:

total 0

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/robin/Maildir/tmp:

total 0

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/postmaster:

total 4

drwx------    5 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:15 Maildir

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/postmaster/Maildir:

total 12

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:09 cur

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:09 new

drwx------    2 vpopmail vchkpw      4096 May 21 16:09 tmp

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/postmaster/Maildir/cur:

total 0

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/postmaster/Maildir/new:

total 0

/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk/postmaster/Maildir/tmp:

total 0

when I send a mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] the server recives it

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /var/log/qmail]# qmailctl queue

messages in queue: 1

messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

29 May 2003 13:57:05 GMT  #160467  2166 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       local  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

when I look in the qmail log I see

@400000003ed617fc28c74714 delivery 877: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/vpopmail/domains/parsonsmotorsport.co.uk:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/

I don't understand why this would be denied. The archives of this list suggest this is normally a permissions problem, yet I am happy that the permissions are right.

Any comment ?

Thanks,

Matt.