On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 13:01, Nick Harring wrote:
> > except for the segfaults adding domains and users when using mysql
> > replication along with it :)
> Which segfaults would those be? I use mysql replication and add users
> all the time without any issues. I did this running both vpopmail 5.2.1
> and 5.4.0-rc2. I've not yet added a domain under 5.4.0-rc2 but it worked
> fine under 5.2.1, the only issue being that I manually had to add it to
> the appropriate qmail files on each cluster server, though this is
> automatable if I wished to do so.

not sure exactly the cause, but every time I add a user it segfaults.
It works, but it segfaults.  I have an open bug ticket on sourceforge,
and I'm currently working on getting a test bed set up (the setup it
happens on is a client's cluster, I can't really go giving their
information out all over the place ;)

> > unless you have at least 500 users, I'd stick with cdb.  mysql adds
> > bloat to the binaries, and can make things slightly slower.
>
> Is there a reason that the mysql libs are statically rather than
> dynamically linked? The bulk of the bloat comes from compiling in all of
> that functionality.

well, and I'm not a programmer, so I'm not entirely sure, but I think
that's the point of stripping the binaries, so you end up only having
the functions necessary.  I would think that dynamically loading the
module at run time would bring in the entire module, thereby having a
far higher runtime footprint.  Plus, I would think that loading the
module dynamically would cause a performance hit, especially since these
are all one shot processes. Yes, the OS would/should cache it, but it's
still there....

Then again, I could be completely wrong.  Flames welcome.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Kitchen
Systems Administrator