Andrew Mason wrote:
Just on that note, I've got a designer who is not very technical . He has absolutely no trouble with velocity syntax what so ever. It has taken all of a day for him to learn, and he's now able to do some reasonably advanced stuff with his templates. Now i'm not saying other templating tools aren't good, but velocity's syntax is one of its most powerful features.

??? I don't see a smiley here.... I guess you're serious....

Well, I guess there's some tendency nowadays just to use the term "powerful" as a generic synonym for "good". But still, one should maintain a certain level of discourse, and consider what one is saying, I think...

To me, this is such an absurd statement. It's like saying that the seats in a car or the color it is painted are its most "powerful" features.

That a template language uses:

<#if user.isLoggedIn>
</#if>

or uses

#if ($user.isLoggedIn)
#end

simply cannot make it any more or less "powerful". Surely it is obvious that this does not affect the thing's *capabilities* in any way whatsoever!!! Surely that's obvious, isn't it???

It's the underlying semantics of a language that make it a more or less powerful tool, not its syntax.

Frankly, I really believe that any fair-minded observer would have to class this as a red herring issue. Anybody who became comfortable with either one of the syntaxes above for an if statement within a day or so of using it, would also get comfortable with the other one within about the same time period.

Jonathan Revusky