Chad Meadows wrote:
Yes, it is mainly for the reasons you already stated, plus just on a visual level the freeMarker tags don't stand out as well.

Chad, you have heard of syntax highlighting, right? I certainly wouldn't want to edit code of any sort -- C, python, java, freemarker, whatever -- in an editor that lacked this feature. All the freemarker directives use a clearly recognizable (particularly via regexp) pattern <#...> for the built-in directives and <@....> for user-defined ones. So most any editing tool can be configured to have these things stand out.

So, if freemarker directives are blue, let's say, and HTML tags are green, is that standing out well enough for you? (If it's not, use bold vs. italic as well....) People have donated syntax highlighting configuration files for various editing environments already, but in any case, they wouldn't be that hard to set up in general.

So, is this complaint, that FTL directives do not "stand out" sufficientlhy being made in completely good faith, or is it that people are this lazy about setting up their editing environments (or those of other people) so as to be maximally productive?

Especially to people who are not exactly the most XML savvy.

Hmm, well, I'm not sure I see your point. Web designers would be quite savvy about markup-based code. I would certainly hope that any web designer I would hire knows HTML far better than *I* do. I try to avoid HTML frankly.

Do you seriously think that a web designer will think that <#if user.isLoggedIn> is a regular HTML tag? Even if they do initially operate under that misconception, how long would it take of using FreeMarker in their daily work to get this straight?

But particularly with syntax highlighting showing HTML or XML tags in a different color from the FTL directives...

I think it is more of a first impression thing that sometimes is hard to get over. Seems to create some confusion among some people who look at the tags as they look kinda like xml, but they are not xml.

Well, at least, in the early days, when I first started using FreeMarker, like around late 1999, I thought that the syntax was a win, simply because you could introduce it (via a white lie) as a new kind of tag that did certain "stuff". Of course, it's not really that. That's a sort of useful little white lie(*) to help people get going with something.

Overall, I do not get the sense that the syntactical issue is anything like a first-order thing. Probably, if we performed the conceptual experiment that Velocity had FreeMarker's syntax and vice versa, the very same people would still be proclaiming that it was FM's syntax that turns them off of it and that Velocity's was so clean. People just tend to get used to certain things and then become overly devoted or religious about them.

[ and ] seems like a reasonable alternative to me.

That's already available in our CVS trunk.

But anyway, while one hears people saying that they are sticking with Velocity because of its syntax, I know of no case (it has not come to my attention anyway) of anybody switching from FreeMarker to Velocity for the syntax. Actually, I can't think of any cases of people switching from FreeMarker to Velocity. I pointed out blog entries of people detailing their experience going from FM->Vel. I don't know of any similar blog entries detailing a migration the other way round.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky

(*) I do hope nobody will use this as proof that I am a liar. :-)

Thanks,

Chad.

Daniel Dekany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/07/2005 01:34 PM
Please respond to
"Velocity Users List"

"Velocity Users List" <velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc