Can I just make a quick point on the whole whitespace issue. Velocity provides
you with a couple of ways to handle your  own output. For example using
String writers etc...I use a really nice set of classes called JTidy for HTML
output, you can run your output through that and create perfectly tidy HTML
(and valid if your designer isn't so talented). There is also nothing to stop
you from writing your own cleaner for other languages where an implementation
isn't already there. I can understand why people want these features in
velocity, Yes it would be handy, yes it should be added as enough people want
it, but I'm not sure it's as critical as many people make it out to be (i
could be wrong). You are given methods to allow you to run the output through
what ever classes you want. The only time where this may not work is when
your doing servlets with the old VelocityServlet (i still don't use
VelocityViewServlet yet so the option maybe available in that too).

Andrew