This is really odd.  I decided to try to build Velocity and debug it
myself.  When I ran my test case with only the Velocity I built (and
Ant) in my classpath, the test worked.  I tried my actual software the
same way and it worked too.  So, it seems that there is something in my
usual project classpath that conflicts with a dependency of Velocity.
My classpath is built by a glob, so probably in alphabetical order,
therefore velocity-deps-1.4.jar is pretty late in the classpath and is
probably being stomped by something earlier on.

So...if I prune my classpath the problem goes away.  If I get time, I
may try to track down exactly what class is causing the bug, but for now
I am able to continue.