That's the cache problem.

But...

After reading your message I quickly googled "ehcache distributed cache",
expecting to find the old news that ehcache (Hibernate's native cache) is
not distributed and hoping to find some pointers to others that are.

Now surprisingly good news is that ehcache 1.2 _is_ distributed-aware.
Correlated with Tomcat's availability for clustering it removes all the
issues discussed.

I would then go for
- a load balancer
- (several Apaches as frontend for plain files, if really needed)
- several Tomcat instances in cluster configuration
- Velocity (without Struts if you like)
- Hibernate with newest ehcache
- one DB backend (or clustered if you like  :) ....)
- great care with transactions (if required)

Now _that_ would be a nice setup to work at....

But again, I'm a Java guy and there may be a PHP solution as well...... Hey,
what?! This is a Java list! Go the Java way! :)

Good luck,
Florin