----- Original Message -----
From: "Claude Brisson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Velocity Users List" <velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: Switching from PHP to Java/Velocity, Performance?

> Le jeudi 13 avril 2006 à 16:37 +0300, Florin Vancea a écrit :
> > > You can have a look at Velosurf. It's a small database access layer
that
> > > won't induce any bottleneck by it owns. Nowadays, every good database
> > > will already have a built-in caching mechanism.
> >
> > Yes, true, but at the end of the day it's network roundtrips and
overhead
> > that kills you.
>
> Depends. The pipes between the front computer and the database are
> usually not a problem.

It's not the width of the pipe, it's the latency, multiplied by the number
of queries to complete a particular task.

> Plus, very often, an overhead is made of very few
> specific queries and my strategy is then to introduce a specific cache,
> rather than cache everything.

I agree, caching should be as specific as possible. Both in terms of "what"
and of "for how long".

> Le jeudi 13 avril 2006 à 15:41 +0200, Dominik Bruhn a écrit :
> > Hy,
> > > Nowadays, every good database
> > > will already have a built-in caching mechanism.
> > so do you think that caching on the servlet-side is not needed and I
should
> > leave this task to the Database-Engine? This would simplify the whole
task
> > because I don't have to keep the caches on each server in sync.
>
> That's my point.
>

> > BUT: Why is everbyody talking about caching? I think altough the
> > Database-Servers might cache some data I still have to keep some of it
in my
> > servlets, at least those parts who are needed very often and change very
> > seldom.
>
> Exactly. Velosurf has a caching option that you can set to true for the
most
> needed entities.

I do not know Velosurf (and I'll correct that once I press "send" on this
one) but it seems like a persistence layer, too, tailored for a different
set of needs than Hibernate.

>   Claude

Nice talk, really, but maybe we've drifted too far from the list topic. I'll
try to keep myself from continuing :)
Have a nice day!

Florin