Hi,

I've set up apache with PHP before, but only with
extensive help from howto guides. Now I want to be able
to test velocity (index.vm) pages on my home computer. I
tried to set it all up, but it doesn't seem to be
working.

Here is what I've done so far on my Windows XP computer:

*Installed Apache HTTP server 2.2.3 (downloaded .msi file
and ran it)
*Installed Java 2 SDK 1.4.2.12 (downloaded an .exe and
installed it. There is now a "java web start" folder in
my start menu)
*Installed Ant 1.6.5 (followed instructions in readme
file... had a very difficult time figuring out how to
modify PATH or set environment variables [didn't even
know what these were and had no idea where or how to set
them--still don't really understand what they do] I think
ant is running fine because in the CMD prompt I typed
things like "ant jar" and it did stuff.)
*Tried to install Velocity 1.4.
        -Extracted files to C:\server\velocity.
        -Used cmd to navigate to the build/ directory,
typed "ant jar-dep". It did tons of stuff.
        -The readme file said to "update your classpath
to include Velocity's .jar file". I have no idea what
this means. I found buildcp.bat in convert/ and changed
it's contents from "@Echo off set
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%1" to "@Echo off set
CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%1;C:\server\velocity
bin\velocity-dep-1.4.jar". (I think I realize now that
this was totally useless and stupid, but it will give you
a good idea about how confused I am.)
        -I also navigated to the examples/ directory with
the command prompt and typed "ant examples" which did
tons of stuff.

However, when I look at .html or .vm files on
http://localhost/ in my webbrowser, either the velocity
gets treated like text.

What can I do to get Velocity up and running? I've
searched the net extensivly for info on setting up or
configuring Velocity in Apache, but my suspicion is that
I'm missing horribly obvious things that are hindering
further progress (example, maybe velocity isn't
"installed" at all, but rather... ?)

I appreciate any help a lot. Thanks!

Brenton

Brenton Strine | Associate Web Developer

Citrix Online Division
Citrix Systems, Inc.
5385 Hollister Avenue
Santa Barbara, CA 93111 USA