hi everybody,

I've been lurking on this thread and watching this whole thing develop. I
thought I might add my 2ยข...

Is US$3k unreasonable for this photo? We on this list don't know.

I'm not in the field, but my wife is a commercial illustrator and I assume
the markets work similarly. The price for usage is based on many factors
that we don't have the specifics for. Mr. Bui isn't selling the photo, he's
selling usage rights. Generally prices are negotiated around size of
reproduction, exclusivity, distribution (how many eyeballs will see it), how
many times it can be used, it what regions it can be used, etc, etc. We
don't have any of these specifics so it's very hard to make a judgment on
whether or not the price is reasonable.

IMHO if what Mr. Bui is selling is the right to use this photo 1 time
non-exclusively on this printed banner at the conference then 3k seems high
to me. But, as he said, it's been used so he is now in the more powerful
negotiating position.

Having said that it would probably be best for everyone to resolve it using
a mediator that knows the market and have both parties agree to abide by
whatever price this mediator comes up with.

Good luck to everyone involved :)