I know this is talking around the problem but:

For very small moduli like yours, another protocol for equality is
actually simpler, better (no risk of failing) and faster (I guess):

raise (a-b) to n-1 (with square and multiply), and if this difference
was 0 you will get 0, otherwise you will get 1 (good old fermat), this
result can be subtracted from 1, to turn the bit correctly.

I actually coded this once, but for some reason I never got to put it into Viff

I have attached a patch you can try to apply (use hg qimport
fermatequality, hg qpush), and play with for now.

I will try to look into the real bug later.

The best
Sigurd