> > It is my humble opinion (for what it is
> > worth)  that re-entrant stringing was the preferred option for the
guitar
> > because it worked best in practice with the kind of strings available
> until
> > the end of the 17th century.
>
> What was the problem? Couldn't they use the same strings as lutenists??

No - different instrument - different string length - differently
constructed - and in any case lutenists also had one hell of a time finding
suitable strings for their instrument and spent half their lives tuning
them.

And when did you last check every string you recieved from your supplier in
the way that Sanz describes to check whether it was any good?