> I would agree with you regarding the stretches in
> chords such as N and L, but, while they might have
> been favourites of Corbetta,  they are not necessary
> for simple chordal accompaniments as one would presume
> Santa Mariana might have played. I would be tempted to
> imagine that the Saint would not have needed to
> venture beyond some run-of-the-mill chords such as C,
> I, A, B, +, etc. As a matter of fact, this is
> precisely what most of the Mexican amateur
> guitar-players do (surely you must know that all
> Mexicans play the guitar ....)

Yes - indeed...!   I don't want to quibble too much about this but actually
chords A and B are not that simple to finger and  involve stretches across
the fingerboard, particularly chord B.  With a sixth course all chords would
need to be re-fingered. Of course we don't know how the instrument was
tuned - if as Bermudo suggests in one place, it was simple tuned to a major
common chord she could just have strummed the same chord on the open
courses....... over and over again.

But what I am really asking is - what proof is there, other than oral
tradition, that the instrument really belonged to her, that it was built in
the early 17th century, and has never been altered since?  Holy relics can
often be of dubious authenticity!

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book you refer too.  Only have
various articles published earlier.