> To defend my fellow players:
> We have a problem that researchers don't have. We sometimes are forced to
> make decisions to be able to perform the music. And on top of that we have
> to find ways to understand the music (and preferably appreciate it as
well),
> otherwise a good performance cannot be the result.

I fully appreciate that.  I think players should follow their own star but
not try to justify their choices with pseudo-accademic arguments.  When I
listen to music I do so for pleasure not in order to decide whether it is a
historically accurate performance.  I think it is necessary to make a very
clear distinction between what the historical evidence suggests and what is
the best way to play the music in our own time.  I think we also need to
acknowledge that there may have been a variety of ways of playing the music
in the 17th century.

that there is a relation between campanela's
> and the re-entrant tuning. The fact that campanela's are there does
probably
> not tell us that bourdons are absent.

I have been saying this is so throughout my career - which actually goes
back some 50 years when there were even some people playing the baroque
guitar!  Like Cassandra, no-one ever listens to me!

> Then point 3. That's me! (not the part about the 1st year harmony
course...
> we had to write serial compositions a la Anton Webern. I learned to
> appreciate dissonants there).

Interesting - but not terribly relevant.

> As a matter of fact I did not invent the theory about leaving out notes
with
> Corbetta. You'll find it Richard Pinnell's thesis from 1976.

He has mentioned it very briefly and he can at least recognise a misprint
when he sees one - which apparently some guitarists cannot.  The fact that
he has put forward this theory doesn't mean that it should be accepted
uncritically.  I doubt whether he intended his suggestion to be taken to the
lengths which you seem to think it should and I think you should be cautious
about attributing elaborate theories to him which he might not share.
Certainly some  other guitarists wouldn't agree with him or see the
dissonance as a problem.  Quite a few people I know (including myself) like
them.

I think it is a
> credible theory.

I don't.  I suspect also that Pinnell's knowledge of 17th century music as a
whole was not very comprehensive and he was unaware how much dissonance was
generally acceptable although he does actually mention this in one place.

If we do not approach la Guitarre Royalle like this, we end
> up with a huge number of very unusual (sometimes really ugly...)
harmonies.

Whether or not they are ugly is a matter of personal taste.  I have been
listening to a lot of Frescobaldi's keyboard recently and I think a lot of
it is very ugly.  If I were to suggest that the dissonance should be
eliminated people would laugh at me - and quite right too.

> The question is only how to work with it. Of course I am very much aware
> that it is a serious crime to leave out notes from a piece of music. But
if
> these are just fingerings (notated for 'convenience' -as Pinnell remarks),
> not meant to be played then who's a fool? He who plays them or he who
leaves
> them out?

Neither - we can only make decisions based on the evidence available to us
and our own musical instincts.  If we turn out to be wrong - well at least
we have acted in good faith.  (Our number one atheist - when asked what he
would do if after he died he discovered God really existed - simply says
"Well then I shall just say that I was wrong".  I am sure God will forgive
him!  Of course there is no way we will ever know whether we are wrong over
Corbetta's music as we can't summon him up from the Deep where he is
undoubtedly languishing.

I don't think there is any logic in Pinnell's suggestion that notes on the
5th course are only there because the chord is played with a barre and
therefore intended to be left out.  Not only is it not convenient for the
player in any way, but engraving the tablature is made neelessly
complicated.  In fact Corbetta puts dots on the line when courses are to be
omitted and wavy lines under the tablature when a barre is to be used -
fairly consistently, not only in chordal passages but also in melodic
passages. In the first of Pinnell's examples the barre has already been
established at the beginning of the  bar and  Corbetta has clearly indicated
that the 5th course is to be omitted from the first 4 chords.  There is no
earthly reason why he should have included the 5th course in the chord at
the cadence if it is not intended to be played.

Let's leave it at that!!

> Once I had chosen to work like this, I had to make decisions on every
single
> strummed chord (only the ones with a barre). On my Corbetta CD I did in
fact
> play quite many 6/4 chords.

Good for you.  I must have another listen to it and see how many I can spot!