Stephen Stubbs, while we were playing through some Kapsberger songs,
suggested that these dissonances were meant to be.  The one I recall the
most was a G major in the alfabeto against a g minor in the written
continuo.

Well - I think he is wrong!!! Simply - whoever added the alfabeto did so just adding whatever chord fitted the bass note without taking into account the voice parts. As I said in an earlier message......

"I don't know if you read Martin Shepherd's article about Dalza in Lute News 89 but he has demonstrated clearly that
there are a lot of misprints in the relevant printed book.   It is not
enough to play any old nonsense because it appears in a 500 year old source.
In my experience a lot of so-called experts don't know very much about how
music was printed etc..."

There are songs with only text and alfabeto, no bass, no melody...can't
quite remember just now who it was.

There are lots of sources which include the lyrics only of the songs, some of which have alfabeto - but this doesn't indicate that they are specifically to be accompanied on the guitar.