But why would you want the treble string to be considerably lower than the bourdon? What would be the advantages? On my guitar the treble string is in any case slightly lower - because it is thinner. It is also lower at the nut. (Perhaps that is what is causing the buzz!). This is an even bigger problem with the bourdon on the fifth course. If you make a deeper groove for the bourdon in the nut that can also result in it being too close to the fingerboard.

One possible advantage to having slots is that you can adjust the distance between the strings of a course a little without having to bore holes...

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
To: <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:41 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Guitar bridges

Eh, I'll try.
If you make a normal loop and keep some 10 cms extra string length 'behind the bridge' you can pull it again through the slot (in the direction of the neck). Then make a loop _over_ the string and pull back through the slot again. Fix it on the bridge in the 'normal' way, coming from the back of the bridge. This can of course only be done with slots. May even be a reason why they are there.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>