I am inclined to agree with you.   Given that the bourdon in any case will
be slightly higher the the treble string as it is thicker it is not
difficult to give it prominence where necessary.  A plain gut bourdon on the
fifth is so thick that it is hard to miss!

One reason why I have been pondering on these matters is because the Royal
College of Music has published a catalogue of the stringed instruments in
their collection. They have some interesting guitars and there are nice photos with quite a lot of information about them - although not as much as one would like.

Monica

  Hmmm  .. we agree that it makes plucking just the lower of the octave
  pair easier if one wishes to do this (eg possibly in scalic passages
  from the third to the 4th course), But it makes things like campanella
  play trickier - where one wishes much of the sound to be in the same
  register as the upper course notes of the passage.  So I'm really not
  so sure about the general desirability of what you suggest below - this
  seems to me to be advocating the dubious position of always requiring a
  low 'bass' line rather than simply accepting the unique idiomatic sound
  of the period instrument.

  regards

  Martyn