Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Capona?

  On 09/12/2011 06:23, Rockford Mjos wrote:
    I have added the score "Capona Espagnola" from the De Gallot Ms to
    my Ning page. (I tried to also upload one by Valdambrini, but Ning
    seems to be stubborn tonight.)

Ning indeed seems very stubborn tonight.   I couldn't access Rocky
transcription - very frustrating.  Nothing happens when I click on it.

  Very interesting  - and in the same key as the two in Carbonchi. Rocky,
  do you think the last beat of bar 9 should be open A (fifth course)
  rather than D on the fourth?

Could be - Gallot or his servant Monnier isn't always entirely accurate.
He has barred it wrongly which he quite often does with pieces which start
with an anacrucis.

And the g#s in bar 23. Are they just a
  passing variation; a sort of E7 chord rather than G. But could they be
  an error?

Could be.   I wonder where he copied the piece from.   He has copied
Carbonchi's instructions for tuning  guitars to 12 different pitches.

  These pieces are playing around with 2/4 and 3/4 but is there an
  underlying 'vamp' (as it were)?

Apparently it is a characteristic of the Capona that it divides into two
irregular phrases, one of 5 beats and the other of 7.   5 crotchets followed
by 7 crotchets  or 3 minims plus a crotchet I.e. a sort of hemiola.

Lynda Sayce has done a very nice version of Piccinini's Capona on a CD with
Charivarri Agreeable.  She suggests that Piccinini's version - which is
apparently rather inept  - may be an arrangement of a guitar piece.  So she
has arranged it back.   Piccinini did spend some time in Spain.

  I must say that this music is far slinkier than I'm used to hearing in
  17th century music! I wonder what they got up to when they danced to it
  (and which was condemned at the time)? I'd guess it would seem very
  tame to compared to some of the overtly sexual dance of today.

Exactly!   I think this present day obsession with the idea that the dances
were obscene and that being banned gives them some sort of instrinsic merit
is a bit wide of the mark.   (I just went to see ENO's production of Castor
and Pollux in which the artists spent a lot of taking their knickers off -
unthinkable in Rameau's time.   They were actually quite prudish.

But I
  can see now why Guerau in his Poema Harmonica says something to the
  effect that studying his complicated and difficult variations on the
  dance pieces will keep you out of trouble.

Well he actaully says "Use it to banish idleness and raise your heart to
God".   But that's the sort of thing that they say in these prefaces.   They
were very high minded.   How many players on this list raise their hearts to
God when playing?

Monica

    -- R