That is all perfectly clear - but has absolutely nothing to do with playing an alfabeto accompaniment - because the guitar is not going to try and reproduce the bass part in any way.

You seem to be me to be confusing two unrelated sets of circumstances.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:47 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

  Dear Lex,

  A particular commonly occurring situation requiring the bass line to be
  realised on the theorbo higher than the upper melodic line is where the
  tenor sings a notated e' (ie that on the lowest line of treble clef)
  but sounding an octave lower (ie the e in the bass clef) and the BC
  line has a low G# 6 (ie on bottom line of bass clef). If G natural is
  also frequently required in the piece (as often found) then on
  a theorbo in A (with 6 fingered courses as most usual historically)
  there is no low G# and the player is obliged to take the bass an octave
  higher - ie top space of the bass clef and thus higher than the
  singer's note. The situation is much the same where the tenor has a d
  and the theorbo BC is obliged to take a f# in the bass.
  Other types of specific examples include Caccini's 'Reggami per pieta'
  where the singer has a low F# which has to be played by the BC an
  octave higher since there are necessary low F naturals elsewhere in the
  piece.

  Chromatic notes are solved in the same way: by putting odd notes (or
  even an entire passage) up an octave - see Ballard 'Methode pour
  apprendre.... theorbe' (1660) page 10 especially which gives examples
  in staff notation and in tablature showing the necessary octave
  transposition for chromatic notes.

  rgds

  Martyn