On Oct 13 21:53, Yakov Lerner wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Corinna Vinschen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I got a report on the Cygwin mailing list that the following message
> >appears when trying to open /etc/hosts in vim:
> >
> >  E303: Unable to open swap file for "/etc/hosts", recovery impossible
> >
> >What happens is this:
> >
> >/etc/hosts is by default a symbolic link which points to the hosts file
> >in the Windows system directory.  The symbolic link is created as a link
> >to the DOS path, for instance:
> >
> >  $ ls -l /etc/hosts
> >  lrwxrwxrwx 1 corinna None 37 Oct 13 18:32 /etc/hosts ->
> >  c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
>
> I bet you can solve the problem by relinking /etc/hosts to
> /cygdrive/c/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts.
>
> This is how it *should* be linked.

Sure, but that's not the problem.  If it's not /etc/hosts it's another
symlink created by a user.  DOS paths do work, usually.

> It surprises me very much that your cygwin recognizes backslashes in
> pathnames. I was under impression that cygwin does not recognize
> backslashes in pathnames .. forward slashes as path separators.
> I mean, I tried 'ls c:\windows' in cygwin and it does not work ......

Well, this isn't a Cygwin mailing list and what you're writing is not a
Cygwin problem.  Backslashes still have special meaning in POSIX shells.
Try

  ls c:\\windows

or

  ls 'c:\windows'