On 2007-06-03, Taylor Venable <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I compile Vim 7.1.2 under Cygwin (on Windows XP), the configure
> script incorrectly identifies the version of my Ruby interpreter.  The
> output from the configure script is as follows:
>
> checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
> checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
> checking Ruby version... too old; need Ruby version 1.6.0 or later
>
> But running `ruby --version` yields:
>
> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i386-cygwin]
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

I don't know anything about Ruby and not much about the inner
workings of configure, but it appears that the ruby version is being
checked at line 881 of vim71/src/configure.in:

    if $vi_cv_path_ruby -e '(VERSION rescue RUBY_VERSION) >= "1.6.0" or exit 1'
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then

where I think $vi_cv_path_ruby is "/usr/bin/ruby".  That doesn't
tell me anything other than that the version is not being determined
by executing "ruby --version", but maybe it tells you something
useful.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Mobile Broadband Division