On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:59:54 -0700
Gary Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2007-06-03, Taylor Venable <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I compile Vim 7.1.2 under Cygwin (on Windows XP), the configure
> > script incorrectly identifies the version of my Ruby interpreter.
> > The output from the configure script is as follows:
> >
> > checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... yes
> > checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
> > checking Ruby version... too old; need Ruby version 1.6.0 or later
> >
> > But running `ruby --version` yields:
> >
> > ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i386-cygwin]
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> I don't know anything about Ruby and not much about the inner
> workings of configure, but it appears that the ruby version is being
> checked at line 881 of vim71/src/configure.in:
>
>     if $vi_cv_path_ruby -e '(VERSION rescue RUBY_VERSION) >= "1.6.0"
> or exit 1' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
>
> where I think $vi_cv_path_ruby is "/usr/bin/ruby".  That doesn't
> tell me anything other than that the version is not being determined
> by executing "ruby --version", but maybe it tells you something
> useful.

I think the problem may be a bug in Cygwin's Ruby.  When you run that
command with Cygwin's Ruby you get:

        ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

This is pretty clearly supposed to be the "rubygems" module, not the
"ubygems" module, so probably there's a misspelling in the code
somewhere.  The Windows version of 1.8.6 (the same version) does not
have this problem, so it seems very obviously *not* to be a bug in Vim
or in the way the configure script operates.

I'll delve a little deeper before filing a bug report with the Cygwin
folks... thanks for the idea!

Best regards,

--
Taylor Venable