From: "A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: HELP! IDE ahead !
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:51:50 +0200

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Is it possible to convince kdevelop from using vim?
> >
> >  I searched the web but the only source of information I found was of
> >  kvim -- and its homepage isn't there anymore.
> >
> >  Any ideas?
> >
> >  Thank you very much in advanve for any help!
> >
> >  Keep hacking!
> >  mcc
> >

> I'll suppose you mean "convince kdevelop to use Vim", not "away from" using
> Vim. I don't use kdevelop myself, but I think the following should work:
>

> 1. Open Konqueror.
>
> 2. Type
>
>       settings:/Components/
>
> in the Location Bar.
>
> 3. Click "Vim Embedding".
>
> 4. In the popup which opens now, open the tab "Vim Executable Selection"
>
> 5. Select the radio button "Vim/X11 Communication" (if it is greyed out, then
> proceed with steps 6 and 7 below and select the radio button after doing
> them).
>
> 6. Click the "Browse" button (usually a blue folder-like icon) next to the
> top
> type-in bar, and browse to the location of your Vim executable (e.g.
> /usr/local/bin/vim ). It must be a Vim executable with at least +gui and
> +clientserver compiled-in; +eval is "recommended".
>
> 7. If you click "Test", it will display whether this Vim executable has GUI
> and client-server features compiled-in, and at which version. Depending on
> your GUI version, there may be a popup warning; but if you're using an
> up-to-date binary it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> 8. Click OK to close the popup. Close Konqueror if you don't need it for
> something else.
>
> 9. In kdevelop, select Settings -> Configure KDevelop -> Editor, and make
> sure
> that "Embedded Editor" is set to "Embedded Advanced Text Editor". Then click
> OK.
>

> If that doesn't work, you may need to search the KDE help; but I hope the
> above can put you on the right track.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Hi Tony, :)

 yes of course...! I mean what you have said, not what I have
 written... :) ;O)

 Again my german English hits me...

 My company plans to unify the use of tools. Kdevelop for all! "Top
 down analysis for the masses!" Ok, I will not comment on this. For me
 it is more important to have unified code styles, tab spaces and so
 on instead of the same editor to produce the results...as it is
 allowed to configure KDE/kdevelop...we will see...

 I will check your recipe!

 Thank you very much for your help Tony! :))))

 Dont worry, ask Tony ! :O))   <--- VERY BIG SMILEY!

 Have a nice day!!!
 mcc