Some more remarks. When replying it would be clever to change the
subject of the mail ...

Categories:
Tom, the category appears at the very bottom of a page.

see: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Category

(meta.wikimedia.org is the best source for technical documentation about
mediawiki.)

Im not sure, whether the vim mailinglist is the right place to discuss
technical issues of the wiki !? But on the other hand i dont know any
better place :-) There is a "forum" on the wiki
( http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Watercooler ), but I dont
like forums ... suggestions?

Concerning ads, I recommend a good adblocker. http://adblockplus.org/
works well for me. :-) I asked the wikia staff to remove the ugly "Wikia
Spotlight" but they didnt react so far.
We are a quite large community, and the user-base is even larger. It
would be interesting to estimate how much money they earn with us.

Skin:
There is a "skin" called "slate" It looks quite fance, but more
important it has some nice features like top-rated Pages and the like.
Test it here: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?useskin=slate
I dont like the layout, but the features are quite nice ... (try to drag
and drop the boxes on the left ...) We could discuss that on the
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Main_Page.

Scripts:
Yeah that's an issue that would need some brainwork before. I never used
the scripts_db extensively, so im the wrong guy for that ... But when I
look at it, i dont see anything that couldn't be done with the wiki. But
that doesn't mean it should be done that way :-)

Sebastian.