On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 09:27 PM, Eagle wrote:

> On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 02:19 , Mark Benson wrote:
>> Is there a free DHCP server for the Mac. I want to set my LC475, which
>> runs 24/7 as a webserver and now a DNS, as a DHCP server to save me
>> having to set all my machines up by hand. Also is there any chance of
>> serving VNC or Timbuktu (without having to buy TB2 preferably) from the
>> LC so I can run it headless.
>
> Do they even still sell Timbuktu for 68k Macs?
>
> What software are you using for these Internet services?

MacDNS and MacHTTP respectively. I wondered if there was a MacDHCP or
something like that to do DHCP. I originally bought this LCIII to do DNS
and HTTP serving but never got around to it as I started with NetBSD and
gave up because I have issues with command prompts, being a Mac user.

As a cursory side note I found out MacDNS 1.0.4 is intended for Power
Macintosh WGS machines, it specifies a Power Macintosh Server in the
spec. Amusingly, however it's actually FAT and works fine on a 68k Mac.
In fact I'd go as far as saying it's probably written in old 68k code
and works on a PowerMac simply as a result of legacy support.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central