On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 12:04 AM, Marten van de Kraats wrote:

> 1. I understand you use a LCIII as a server, but you want to replace it
> with a IIci because, you want to run 7.1. Why don't you install 7.1 on
> your LCIII? It only needs a tiny enabler to run that.

I know that, it actually has a 475 board in it (and thus an 040) so it's
OK but it is too restricting because it only has room for one NIC. I
really want a dual NIC machine, the reason I'm using a IIci instead when
I get it, to do multi sub-net IIci so it will be very fast in 7.1 :). I
ran 7.1 on my LCIII(475) for about 2 days and decided I might as well
install 7.6.1.

> BTW 7.1 won't make your server any faster.

Yes it will, it frees up lots of RAM by getting rid of stupid
unnecessary extensions I have found I can't turn off for one reason or
another in 7.6.1. It also uses less RAM itself and has less CPU overhead
when running idle.

> If you wanna have a faster
> server, you can do two things: use a faster Mac (like a 68040 or higher)
> in order to overcome the lousy I/O of system 7 or use that Mac IIci and
> install system 6 and AS 2...

I need 7.1 or later and OT 1.1.2 to run IPNR - sorry Marten ;).

> In general: I totally disagree with you on 7.1 being a bit limp for a
> desktop OS because it has less crap. I consider that to be one of the
> advantages of 7.1.

It is for servers but I like a full featured package for a
client/desktop OS, not one I have to botch and scrape to get stuff
working in, I only do that for 030 powered machines :).

> Not that I use any kind of system 7 on my client
> machines.  I hate system 7 as a client OS.

So you aren't biased by that at all then ;).

> It is far to unstable.

My server runs 7.6.1 and goes and goes and goes nad.. you get the idea.
It ran for a week straight before I took it out to bring it back here
for easter and since I set up the DHCP services it has run for a further
8 days and I reset it tonight to reconfigure something (thought I'd take
the chance to reboot it and clear it's throat - I always do it when
I'm doing a major change on a server)/

> On the 3 clients in use at home I run :  6.05, 8.1 and X.

I have 3 System 7 machines (LC - 7.0.1 from it's original install disks,
SE/30 - 7.1, LCIII(475) - 7.6.1 and solid as a rock) an iBook running OS
X and an 840av running 8.1 (it has a 40 GB hard disk in at the mo so
needs HFS+ :) ). I'm happy with all except the LC but it stays as it is
because it's in 100% original state.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central