On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 02:11 AM, the pickle wrote:

> At 02:55 +0200 on 10/04/02, Marten van de Kraats wrote:
>
>> System 6 makes a whole lot of difference. You won't believe how much
>> better it is than system 7 at I/O stuff. It is a totally superior
>> server
>> OS. I can't help it. It is just the truth. System 7 is very
>> inefficient.
>
> Marten: open your freaking eyes already.  System 6 doesn't run on any
> Macs
> made after about 1991.

You open your eyes - we were talking about a IIci, that machine CAME
with System 6.

>> Mmmmm...  I take it you are not the one paying the electricity bill in
>> your household. Otherwise you might think a bit different about it...
>
> Mark, he has a point here.  The IIci sucks electricity like nobody's
> business.

Damn, not my problem - I'm setting this up for my dad remember :).

> What I still don't get is where the heck the need for IP addressing on
> an
> internal, not-connected-to-the-Internet, LAN is coming from.  If you
> need
> to do file sharing in the absence of the iBook, you can - just not over
> TCP/IP.  But file sharing over TCP/IP is outrageously slow (especially
> compared to just AppleTalk over Ethernet) anyway, so there's *no
> advantage*
> to it.
> Any other use that's been mentioned so far in this thread would require
> an
> Internet connection, thus necessitating the placement of the iBook
> *back*
> into the network.

Read this :

"I am trying to provide a solution I can easily hook another OS X machine
or a PC too should I have to. I am trying to create a flexible network
infrastructure not just a bit of wet string to talk to a few Macs. I
apologise again for swearing at you guys but it stands that I need and
want DNS on the internal network, why are you trying to tell me I don't?"

I posted that before you know, did you read it? The fact is I use
AppleTalk for file sharing but also use other *internal* TCP/IP
services, such as my Intranet server on MY LCIII. If you can make iCab
work via AppleTalk without TCP/IP so I can read the saved web-pages in
my LCIII I'd be glad to try it. Until then I keep my IP addresses. Also
this network is both on and off the internet and, when I eventually find
a modem (which I decided was a prudent course of action) I will need
TCP/IP to use it. Thirdly it is always my policy as a network admin that
a machine that may be capable of TCP/IP on a network is assigned an IP
address, whether is currently uses it or not, to prevent later problems.
Having machines floating around on a network with no IP addresses is bad
mojo.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central