Thanks for the replys everybody.  Much appreciated.

> Probably the power supply getting wimpy.
> where do you live?
> johnsn

I'm thinking the same thing.  The power supply is getting weak and
needs to be replaced.

>  >>Daystar Turbo 040
>
> the cache card<<
>
> They're both dead.  I've had the same symptoms from the same cards.
>
> If you can find known good cards of both stripes, the IIci will be back to
> "normal."
>
> Donn

I'm not sure about the cards being dead.  The cache card worked fine
the last time I had it installed which was only about a month or so
ago.  It's been stored away in an antistatic bag, so I can't see any
reason it would have died.

> Out of curiosity, which power supply do you have? I've
> seen both Astec and GE in IIci's (and IIcx's) and have
> found the Astecs to be quirky. The GE ones are more
> reliable. It sounds like it's a problem with the slot
> so I'm willing to suspect the motherboard first, but
> do check on the power supply as well.

The IIci has the Astec power supply, and I think you're right, it may
be getting quirky.  I have a bit of other odd behavior though.  I was
under the impression, (but could be totally wrong) that the Quadra 700
power supply would work in the IIci being the same form factor with
same listed voltages.  When I try my Quadra power supply in the IIci,
the light flickers again, but won't power up.  This happens if the PDS
card is in or removed.  Nada happens.  When I put the PSU back into
the Quadra, the 700 boots up just fine.  It happens to be the GE model
from the 700.  When I put the IIci's original Astec back in, it boots
up fine if no PDS card is in, as I described before.  So maybe it is
the mobo??  Maybe both . . . hmmm.  Oh yeah, I live in Fredericksburg,
Va.

thanks again

Jeff M Grant