From: "Manuel Marques" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange IIci behavior, cont.
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:20:46 +0100

"The PRAM battery is irrelevant to powering up on these models."

Sooo, even if I change my battery, my IIci will not work. Right?
It made sense that, if I didn't have any power to establish any ADB
connection, that the IIci wouldn't power up using the keyboard. If the
battery doesn't supply power, then what is it? The PSU?

First, please learn to trim your quoted text. It is rude to repost all of the message to which you are replying. One way to learn to trim quoted text is to put your new message *after* the quoted text. This generally results in a more readable posting and you'll learn to always trim away that unneeded quoted text.

For example, in your message, which I've quoted above, you actually requoted the relevant bit of the previous message before your text. That is all that you needed to quote. You should have trimmed *all* of the quoted text which you left at the bottom of your message.

Regardless of any personal preferences folks on this list may have, your last couple of messages quoted the list footers as well as the previous messages. That is explicitly against the etiquette of this list.

The PSU supplies a 5V trickle even when the computer is turned off. The power on circuitry connects that 5V trickle to the Power_on line (forget the official name for it) on the power supply to turn it on. Then there's some circuitry on the motherboard to keep it connected so that the power supply stays on until the Shut Down command is issued.

The battery is only used to maintain the real time clock and the PRAM memory when the power supply is disconnected from the mains. Otherwise the 5V trickle also maintains these functions.

Jeff Walther