I bought a lot of 9 of these 68 pin and 2.2Gb cheaply.

Then I noticed that they are have a HP logo and part number as well. D5094-60101

When I went to format and verify them using a Buslogic SCSI PCI card in a PC I keep for this purpose I find that each returns a SCSI id number other than "0" which is set by the jumpers. In other words it seems that the i.d. number has been set in the firmware.

Has anybody seen this before? Is there a way to overide this? Can the firmware be updated so that the drives behave as normal Vikings (er... I don't mean the rape and pillage bit :-)

Well, they were cheap, but it turns out also nasty....

Cheers,
       John