Mark Benson wrote:

On 2 Oct 2005, at 11:33, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

<lots of good SCSI advices>

All good sound advice, but in my case it's all old news I'm affraid. I think in the case of Quantum drives the nonsense that makes em play up on non-PC controllers is hardcoded onto the ROM.

To give you a recent example, I hooked an Atlas IV up to my Amiga 1200 Tower (if you don't know don't ask ;o) ) SCSI chain and the Hard Disk utility refused to even talk to it. It didn't see it at all. I took that drive off and hooked up a Seagate Barracuda in exactly the same chain with hte same settings and bam - it came straight up.

The amiga is off topic :( scsi is an addon and disktools vary depending on many factors. I'm not saying your wrong Mark, its just not the best example. . . My 1200 runs Quantum bigfoots - 4.0gb rather than 4.3 which has cause problems, mainly operator error under the 3.0 rom.

  Low  Levelling on a PC might solve it

Best bet.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.5d2b41d3cef51dfe29dd10a191346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Product%20Support/Enterprise%20Storage/Quantum%c2%ae%20Family/Viking
Enterprise storage, lol. Pulldowns start the download, there's a good idea :( Gregg's point's regarding the jumpers, J3 would be best to configure the rear one affects the *chain* from what I read. Returning the the wrong scsi ID seems odd as I don't see why it would be firmware or what real use such a feature would have ..
Model # please and good luck