On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Samual Acorn wrote:

if you like wannabe you'd love 'links'  ;)

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/ (browser homepage..
has screenshots..)

http://mac.linux-m68k.org/ (the os you would need to run it)

I think the the greatest thing an old Apple CPU has to offer is it's ability to run the Mac OS, and, of course, all the great old applications and games that you can get for cheap or free.

I'm sure there are great technical arguments to be had on the relative merits of the different OS, but the hard fact is that the most development work for the *nix OS's is on the X86 platform.

I remember reading on the web some geeks diatribe about what he saw as the hardware weaknesses of the Mac he was trying to port *nix to. It was ugly.

Seems to me that by changing an Apple into a linux box you have to accept less well developed code AND loose the user-friendly Mac OS and applications. Why not just get an old x86 platform instead? Plenty of those about!

I have a load of old Macs, but for my netBSD plaything/learning tool I use a dual 200MHz Pentium Pro box. I got it virtually free and built it up with salvaged bits. It's a very nice bit of hardware. I also use it to format SCSI drives destined for Macs :-)

I'd rather commend the guy who wrote Wannabe, and if its not as good as Links, encourage someone to do the development work so it is.

I'd like someone to spend time improving (simplifying) the classic OS so that it runs better on older machines. I don't believe that throwing it out and replacing it with a "ported" version of serious server software is the right thing to do. That's not what Apple was ever about.

I think it's great that Apple have moved on to OSX - I use it daily and am pleased that I can be a Mac user at work without having to jump through hoops. But I like to use my Classic Macs when I can. For example I'm currently digitizing selections of my LP collection with a Quadra 950 and AudioMedia II sound card. Works very effectively :-)

Cheers,
       John