I know it is a personal choice, however, I feel a need to add my pennies worth.

Historically, the wintel architecture is actually not ideal for a UNIX machine,
mainly to the great big gaping whole in the memory map, a throwback from the
640k limit from the DOS PC days.

The main issue with that used to crop up regarding Macs and UNIX, is that you
need a system that has an MMU and FPU.

Also, if you look at all the past Sun and HP UNIX servers they all started on
MC680x0 cpu's.

As this is a Vintage Apple list, you must remember, that Apple had a SVR2 UNIX
known as A/UX that ran on Mac II's and Quadra's.

Sure, as a workstation, the Mac excels, and I am glad to say that I run a
completely wintel free house hold.
If I want to run a *NIX type OS, I'd much rather use one of my many Vintage
Macintoshes for that, or buy a real UNIX server, like a Sun, IBM RS/6000, HP
9000 or SGI etc... :-)

On Wednesday, October 05, 2005, at 07:16AM, John Niven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Samual Acorn wrote:
>
>> if you like wannabe you'd love 'links'  ;)
>>
>> http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/ (browser homepage..
>> has screenshots..)
>>
>> http://mac.linux-m68k.org/ (the os you would need to run it)
>

>I think the the greatest thing an old Apple CPU has to offer is it's
>ability to run the Mac OS, and, of course, all the great old
>applications and games that you can get for cheap or free.
>
>I'm sure there are great technical arguments to be had on the relative
>merits of the different OS, but the hard fact is that the most
>development work for the *nix OS's is on the X86 platform.
>
>I remember reading on the web some geeks diatribe about what he saw as
>the hardware weaknesses of the Mac he was trying to port *nix to. It
>was ugly.
>
>.. snip
>
>I have a load of old Macs, but for my netBSD plaything/learning tool I
>use a dual 200MHz Pentium Pro box. I got it virtually free and built it
>up with salvaged bits. It's a very nice bit of hardware. I also use it
>to format SCSI drives destined for Macs :-)
>
>snip
..

--

http://homepage.mac.com/andresk/