The other 5.25 floppy drive Apple did make was one for pc 5.25 disks.  It
had a 37 pin connector that only mated to its dedicated controller cards.
I've seen those controller cards for nubus ][cx, ][ci, and a different one
for SE/SE30. It might be possible to adapt one from a ][cx or ][ci to a ][si
with the proper adapter? The 37 pin connector is the sure sign that you are
dealing with one of those drive/card setups as that connector wasn't used
for anything else, as far as I know.  The drives are not as tall as the
Apple][ 5.25 drives, perhaps a bit wider, with the common pc disk release
lever that turns 90 degrees on their front.  If that is what he has (and the
model # does match the one I have here), there is nowhere to plug one into
any stock Mac.  They only mate with their dedicated controller cards. The
ones I have here are #A9M0110...the same # as he gives for the drive there.
I don't know how he proposes to mate them to a Mac SE30 without the pc drive
card for the SE/SE30.  If he has the card, and the drive, use of Apple File
Exchange will let him read PC formatted DSDD (360K) floppies with them,
...but will not let him read any Apple ][ formatted disks.