Please try the latest pre-release build from
http://www.virtualgl.org/DeveloperInfo/PreReleases and let me know if
the situation has improved.  The long and the short of it is that there
were a couple of legitimate bugs in vncviewer, but most of the issues
were due to bugs in Xt that I had to work around (ugh.)  This was one of
those cases in which there was one "magic formula" that worked, and it
took way too many hours of trial and error to find it.

I've tested the new code on RHEL 5 and RHEL 6, but given how difficult
the Xt issues were to work around, it would not surprise me if there
were issues remaining on other platforms.  Let me know if you encounter
any further problems.

Note that the spanning behavior is controlled at the driver level.
Currently, the only way I know of to make a full-screen window span
multiple monitors on Linux is to use nVidia TwinView and tell it not to
advertise Xinerama info (setting  Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "True"
 in xorg.conf.)  Doing this will allow vncviewer to cover the real
estate of all monitors.  Otherwise, it can never span beyond one
monitor, and if the desktop is larger than a single monitor's real
estate, bump scrolling will be enabled.