Yes, you're missing quite a lot.  Please read the manual.  VirtualGL
needs two X servers-- a "3D X server" and a "2D X server."  The 3D X
server has to be a real X server attached to the GPU.  It can be
headless, but it can't be virtual.  The 2D X server can be a virtual X
server, such as VNC or Xvfb.

Secondly, the way you launch a 3D application in VGL is by using vglrun,
not vglclient.  The instructions do not ever even specify calling
vglclient directly.  vglclient is generally called from vglconnect, but
you don't need to ever use either of those unless your 2D X server and
3D X server are on different machines (which they aren't.)

I'll summarize the steps you need to take (but please do read the manual.)
-- Set up the 3D X server, which should be a "real" X server connected
to the GPU.  Make sure the GLX extension works by running glxinfo
against the 3D X server and verifying that it is not using a software
OpenGL renderer (Mesa.)
-- Run vglserver_config to give VirtualGL access to the 3D X server
(this is only necessary if the 3D X server is running some sort of login
manager under the root account, like gdm or xdm.  Otherwise, if you are
just starting the 3D X server under your user account, then you should
already have permission to access it.)
-- Start Xvfb (the 2D X server.)
-- Set DISPLAY to point to your Xvfb instance.
-- vglrun {application}