TurboVNC works well with both 2D or 3D applications, but if you prefer NX,
that's fine too. I just saw TightVNC mentioned somewhere in the thread and
wanted to make sure everyone knows that TightVNC/Unix is a dead product and
that we cover 100% of its features, since TurboVNC was originally based on
TightVNC 1.3.x.

It sounds like using a custom build of Mesa might be a better solution in your
case, since you don't need to run 3D apps in general.