Hello,

Based on previous advice I've been given from DRC,  I've attempted to start
a full X server on display 0, and then launched turbovnc, which starts on
display 1

I did this by launching vncserver from within .xinitrc for a given user
that launches X at boot.  This appeared to work, technically it did, but it
would recursively launch 100 vnc server sessions, I assume 'vncserver'
pulled in .xinitrc and launched it's self.

now I have one script run at boot:

su - someuseraccount -c "startx"

followed immediately by a second script:

su - someuseraccount -c "vncserver"

I'm expecting this to start x, which it appears to, I assume it's coming up
on display :0, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure remotely

the second line should simply bring up the vncserver, which appears to be
working fine, I can still connect to my system at port 5901 - exactly as
before.

this setup has resolved my issue of the recursive booting with 100
sessions, but now virtual GL doesn't work.

my GL testing program is Quake3, here is the relevant output:

----------------------
4487 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
com_zoneMegs will be changed upon restarting.
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- Client Initialization -----
Couldn't read q3history.
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "renderer_opengl2_x86_64.so" from "."...
-------------------------------
QKEY found.
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keySDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) FAILED (No
available video device)
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keySDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) FAILED (No
available video device)
Setting r_mode -1 failed, falling back on r_mode 3
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keySDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) FAILED (No
available video device)
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: GLimp_Init() - could not load
OpenGL subsystem) -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

glxinfo shows:
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError: unable to open display :1

any advice would be openly welcome.  Thanks in advance.