Nathan wrote:
Jesse Sightler wrote:
I'm attempting to enable geospatial support for a db that will support both
SQL and RDF views.  All the spatial apis appear to be missing, though:
SQL> select st_point (0, 52);

*** Error 42001: [OpenLink][Virtuoso ODBC Driver][Virtuoso Server]SR185:
Undefined procedure db.DBA.st_point.
at line 16 of Top-Level:
select st_point (0, 52)
SQL>

Is there some installation step that I'm missing in order to enable support
for this?

Thanks,
Jess

AFAIK geospatial is only in the commercial edition. Which is a shame :(

Nathan,

Shame?

We do have to make a trade-off at some point between Open Source and Closed Source.

I know you don't imply our product is worth $0.00, but I would like to discuss the matter for sure.

Our point of view:
our product is provides huge value, and the work is extremely complex. How do we sustain this behemoth of a project without some kind of monetary compensation?

Remember, not only is there an Open Source Edition of Virtuoso, it is also used across the Linked Data from DBpedia, to DBpedia-Live, to a majority of the bubbles in the Linked Data cloud. In all cases, OpenLink is doing the heavy lifting (and incurring serious $ costs).

I am sure you agree, Virtuoso is very aggressively priced, as per our pricing page [1] :-)

Anyway, lets discuss as I am very open to thoughts from the community re. this important matter.

Links:

1. http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/sales/vpricing2.htm

Kingsley

regards!