Hi Craig,

>I've checked in a change that should take care of this:
>
>http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/p/33591
>
>It may not apply cleanly to 5.10.0 since there have been other nearby
>changes but at least we have a fix in the pipe.  Unless you have a
>reason *not* to build with long double, I think building with both
>long int and long double would be the easiest workaround for you.

OK, I'll build with the options you suggested in your previous message, i.e.

  $ @configure -"UDEBUGGING" -"Duse64bitint" -"Duselongdouble" -
  _$ -"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" -"de"

>The  only 64-bit thing you can't get right now is 64-bit pointers.
>You could try getting it by adding /POINTER_SIZE=LONG to your
>ccflags, but I suspect there would be a lot of code clean-up to do to
>get this working.

I don't think I'll need 64-bit pointers, we don't use Perl *that* heavily
:-)

>Thanks again for the report.

And thanks for your advice on this topic and for contributing so much to VMS
perl in general!

Regards,

        Jeremy Begg