Come to think of it, I have the next idea, that even has more solutions:
Somehow give Xvnc a call to start talking RFB on an other port. It can have
the same options as the default like 'readonly' or 'once' and even an own
pointer to an (other) password file.

This adds the posibility to have one session that gives both read/write
access (for the user) and readonly access (for viewers). Or even provide
dedicated access.

For the inetd way to start vnc, it adds the posibility of multiple viewers.
It does NOT give a way to have a persistent session since inetd somehow will
kill the session once the initial communication path is stopped. But as long
as the initial viewer stays on, the session is somehow re-entrant.

> I administer citrix servers, which have this feature - when the user
> reconnects he is routed to his old session. if he has more than one
> disconnected session, he can choose, which he wants to
> re-establish. I also
> have some experience with sunray terminals - which have this
> feature in "2
> flavours".  The user is able to re-establish a disconnected session by
> entering login/password OR by using a smartcard (whereas the
> sunray x-server
> process[==xvnc] is "bound" to a smartcard - so the user inserts his
> smartcard at any terminal and gets back his personal desktop)
>
> are there any solutions around or is there any work in progress,
> implementing this with vnc ?
> i`m really shure this IS possible with reasonable effort.
> (unfurtunately i`m
> awful bad programmer, otherwise i would do that myself :)

In the end, it's inetd that ruins your day. I think you only have to write a
deamon that starts Xvnc just like inetd does but then, keep the session
alive and  have some administration to see if the session is running or not.

CBee